Sirius VS Arthur who will win???

Moderator: Faculty and Staff

Forum rules
All discussions in this section are to be out of character. No general role-playing is permitted in this section.

Enigmus Prefect
Enigmus Prefect

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Sirius VS Arthur who will win???

So there I was watching the Deathly Hallows, and I saw a commercial that said "look out for the battle of hogwarts!" So I said "hey what's that??" And turned to my friend google. Turns out its a documentary. I kept skimming the google page and saw 'J.K Rowling goes beyond the epilogue- beyond hogwarts' so I clicked on it. It reveals all sorts of juicy stuff about some characters. I finally see something that really catches my eye. Miss Rowling was originally going to kill another character In OoTP besides Sirius!!! It was Arthur Weasly. J.K didn't say this directly, for fear of 'spoiling the death for others' but the article was full of spoilers any way. She does say that she planned on killing of Arthur instead of another, but if my memory serves me correct, Sirius was the only death in that, and therefore the only option. Sirius was actually my favorite character and I didn't really care much for Mr. Weasly up until book seven. I think that she should have kept Arthur dead for a number of reasons. What about all of you??? Sirius VS Arthur!!! Who will win????
"'When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, 'Even after all this time?' And I will say 'Always.'" -Alan Rickman
Follow, Sphinxes, and Solve Thy Riddle!

Head of Lobostro House

Location: In the Potions lab, working on my latest experiment.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:34 am

Re: Sirius VS Arthur who will win???

Arthur Weasley was bit by Nagini in OotP, so he could have died from that. I think killing off Sirius was more of a blow to Harry than Arthur simply because although Harry was pretty much adopted by the Weasleys, Sirius was the only living "member" of his family that Harry cared about...certainly not the Dursleys.

Arthur's death would have been sad, but Sirius' struck a real chord.
Professor Voertigern
Professor of Potions
Wand: 13 1/2" Essence of Dragon Fire

"Remember, the first rule in Potions is...Never lick the spoon!"

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:19 am

I love both to death, but I did like Sirius more. As already said though, it was definitely a bigger blow to Harry. And with how she went on with how much Sirius' death affected him, and others for that matter, I 'spose she had a reason... Still though, I think Sirius wins!

And I still have not read that article... I spaced it out until I saw this <.< >.> *Goes off to find it now*
May the dragons roar loud, and proud

Enigmus Student

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:37 pm

I WILL LOVE SIRIUS 4-EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Arthur's pretty cool too, but I think J.K. Rowling wanted to create a character so awesome and lovable (SIRIUS) that it would captivate, make an impression, and make the reader/watcher feel Harry's pain when he died.
Nicolena Zephira Jewelhart
You can't get harmony when everyone sings the same note!

Staff

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Good story tellers are far more likely to kill off the characters we love best than those we simply like (or don't really notice). Killing off a character the reader isn't invested in is an empty story-telling move. There's no attachment to the character and therefore no emotional payoff.

So, much as it sucks for us as the readers, I think she made the right call.
"The power of imagination makes us infinite." -John Muir

Enigmus Prefect
Enigmus Prefect

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm

I know... :( it doesn't make it any less sad though.... *mourns Sirius's death*
"'When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, 'Even after all this time?' And I will say 'Always.'" -Alan Rickman
Follow, Sphinxes, and Solve Thy Riddle!

Return to Books 1-6