Watching the Field

Moderators: Vittoria de Medici, Faculty and Staff, Head Boy and Girl

Junior Auror

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:14 am

Watching the Field

Storm paced around the stands. She passed a few students enjoying the changing weather. They hushed their conversations as she passed, and the particularly troublesome students shuffled away. Storm moved to the ground-level temporary stands that were still set up from practice earlier that day. She sat herself sideways and kicked up her feet. The cool breeze was too nice to ignore.

The field was mostly empty, so she shut her eyes and listened to the faint noise of students and teachers moving about the area. Just as she was dozing off, day dreaming of possible assignments, she felt a rush of air push past her. She jolted up to see a flash of green and black fly around the edge of the field. She was unaware that anyone was still practicing, but she could imagine who was on that broom at this hour. Storm sat up properly and focused her attention on the figure bolting across the field as the sun began setting behind the stands.

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:41 am

Re: Watching the Field

The Colubrae prefect zoomed through the air at an amazing speed. With the sun beginning to set, the air that whipped around had a faint nip to it, hinting at the oncoming fall. And that merely exhilarated Latrova more. There was something about playing in crisp air that jolted the nerves, and made one want to push themselves to the max. Thankfully the girl mostly knew her limits, and she had been out here nearly all day. Early, before anyone else. And late, after everyone had already left.

She shifted the broom beneath her, and was barreling straight towards the ground. The moment she was merely a few inches away from the blades of grass, she leveled the broom, slowing it down so she could casually hop off. She started towards the temporary seating, to put everything away, and spotted Storm.

She knew the girl from when she attended Avistrum with her, but hadn't had much chance to actually interact with her since she had returned to the castle. She wasn't exactly herself last term, and couldn't really catch up with old friends. And as of late... Well, she'd been avoiding people more than usual.

"You're not one to usually visit the pitch. Not here for practice, I'm assuming." Latrova stated as she approached Storm, setting her broom down on one of the benches so that she could removed her gauntlets.
May the dragons roar loud, and proud

Junior Auror

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:48 am

Storm watched Latrova as she walked towards the stands, broom in hand. It was nice to see her as herself. It had been a few years since they had really spoken, and after the fall term, they hadn't really caught up. Then again, they weren't best pals during their years together. Latrova was always miss over-achiever, and that wasn't the crowed Storm ran with. After beginning training as an Auror she started appreciating Latrovas work ethic.

However, even now, she couldn't help but be confused by the young woman. Years at Avistrum when she could probably already be successful in so many fields of study. She seemed to continue acing every type of class and activity. Storm could only focus on one thing at a time, how could Latrova do all that she did and not get overwhelmed? Maybe she did? It was impossible to tell.

Latrova addressed Storm and she let out a chuckle in response, "No, my days of playing seeker are over. I'm sure I'm out of practice." Storm leaned back against her seat. "Plus, no need to embarrass myself in front of the star seeker." It came to no surprise that Latrova would be practicing so late in the day, some things never change.

"Just here to enjoy the weather, I wasn't expecting anyone to still be here. But I'm not surprised that it would be you to defy those expectations."

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Joleen smirked at Storm's response, and tossed her gauntlets on one of the benches before sitting down on one in front of Storm, to face her."You've embarrassed yourself in front of me plenty. I can hardly see why this would be any different." She said, a grin curling the corners of her lips.

Thing was though, that wasn't true. Storm could jump into nearly anything, no effort, no practice, and look like she'd been doing it for years. It drove Latrova insane. She couldn't deny it was one big reason why she never exactly got along great with the girl in their early years. Latrova was a person who was challenging, and competitive. And wanted nothing but to win and to be the best, and she worked hard for it. Then Storm would come in, do just as good, without having even attended the class.. It definitely set the Colubrae girl on edge. But, that being said, there was a part of her that had actually missed Storm. Missed their banter... She'd never admit to it though.

"You've been gone awhile, but not long enough for everything to change, I suppose." she said with a mere shrug.

Junior Auror

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Storm raised her brows at Joleen's comment. "Oh ho, is that so? I seem to remember someone botching dueling every time I decided to show up?" Storm gave a half grin, being both playful and a bit competitive in the moment. "Was that just a fluke? Or did my presence make you nervous?" She couldn't help but poke fun at the young woman, just like old times. But, to be fair, Storm was a bit more mean about it when they were both attending school.

Latrovas spoke again and Storm nodded. "I guess you're right... It just feels so different. To be patrolling the halls, trying to really prove myself this time around..." She leaned her head back and looked up at the sky. Orange faded into the light of the blue sky, like water paints bleeding together. "Its harder now, but that's good I think. It's going to make us all stronger." Storm realized how insensitive she may have been and returned her gaze to Latrova. "I mean, we all grieve our own way... And I really shouldn't be saying anything, you know, I just got back... not that you haven't been strong- but you don't have to be! Uh-"

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Latrova snorted at that comment, and nonchalantly glanced at her nails. "Dueling has never really been my forte. But I can guarantee that if I messed up because of your presence, it wasn't out of being nervous. I was merely distracted by your funny lookin' face." Her eyebrows furrowed at that and she made a look towards her own comment. "That was an insult I would've made in like... My first year. That was just pitiful. Damn. Usually I'm good at insults."

She then watched as Storm glanced at the sky, and another smile, a softer one, formed this time. "I can see that... That you're trying to prove yourself, that is. Probably a new feeling for you. But you're doing a good job." She then watched as the girl stumbled over her words and chuckled.

"Goodness. Does my presence make you nervous?" She said jokingly, before her own gaze was distracted by the warm glow in the clouds as the sun furthered and furthered towards the mountains. "It's okay. I get what you were saying. Yes, it is hard. And yes, we will all strengthen from it... We always do."

Junior Auror

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Storm let out what could only be described as a childish giggle, which she immediately tried to cover up with a cough. Something about bad insults and poorly timed jokes tickled her funny bone. "That was pretty bad." Latrova was kind to her after Storm clumsily tripped over her words and she smiled at the response.

"I'm glad you feel that way too." Now Joleen's eyes were affixed to the sky. In the silence her mind wandered. Perhaps Latrova did make her nervous. Why wouldn't she, such a bright presence, she could be intimidating. She could command a rooms attention by just smiling. Storm had always seen everyone flock around the powerful young witch, even in her most troubled times. Storm had never been a part of that crowed. Even during fall term, when Latrova wasn't... well, Latrova. Everyone sat by her side, willing to work with her new attitude in order to be near, while Storm stood, glaring from the halls.

It was never hatred. Jealousy, definitely. A bit of contempt, sure. But she would have stood there and supported Latrova, without a doubt, if there wasn't something holding her back. They were barley friends as it were. The pure blood, creative, and cleaver girl with the world ahead of her. Who wouldn't want to be by her side?

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:02 pm

The Colubrae girl smiled at Storm's response, and for a long moment she just silently stared at the colors in the sky, lost in thought. There had been so much Storm had missed. So much good... So much bad. It almost saddened Latrova. Yet, Avistrum was a school. A place people called home, and learned and grew at. Eventually, however, they would leave, and start their life, just as Storm had. And sooner or later, the same would happen with Latrova. She just hoped whatever she ended up doing would end up bringing her back home, just like Storm.. She chuckled softly to herself then, realizing that she really had missed this girl. In an odd way.

She'd always been frustrated with her, but it was mostly because she wished she could be more like Storm. She put so much effort into what she did, and it was often that Storm was still better than her, without putting in effort at all. And it drove her to push harder, which wasn't a bad thing, of course. "I'm sorry, by the way." she finally said into the silence, turning her attention back to the girl in front of her.

"That the term you came back to was... The way it was..." She sucked in a deep breath, glancing at her hands."We've had rough terms these last few years but that..." She just silently shook her head.

Junior Auror

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:30 pm

She watched the girls eye line fall to her hands and listened to her apology. "Hey..." Storm reached out her had and placed it over Latrova's. "Don't apologize for the state of things." She gave a small squeeze to Latrova's hands. "Lets not dwell, I know you don't want that." Storm tilted her head and smiled. She wasn't usually good at the 'delicate subject' thing, or the 'comforting' thing. However it seemed to be coming a bit more naturally with Joleen.

"Plus, we need to be working on the future." Storm said, switching to a bit of a stern tone, but she kept holding Latrova's hand. "We need to be strong for everyone else. I think big things are coming, and we're gonna need you."

Colubrae Prefect
Colubrae Prefect

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Joleen stared at their hands for a moment, and blinked quickly a few times, clearing her throat silently, as if she were on the brink of tears. But she'd never admit she was... She hated crying. Especially over things that were said, and done, and had already been mourned. "No, definitely not. I just keep finding myself doing so." She said with a slight smirk and shake of her head.

Her smile then returned, and she gently squeezed Storm's hand. "Of course something big is coming. Something big is always coming." She didn't say it in a bitter tone, just in an honest, matter-of-fact way. "But truth is, I'm not quite needed, exactly. Everyone would get along fine without my help. But not saying my help isn't valued and, well... Helpful. So I'll still give 110% just like always."

Junior Auror

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:49 am

Storm frowned a bit at Latrova's responses. She was a big part of Avistrum and every bit of help was vital. The again, she could understand where Latrova was coming from, and appreciated the pragmatic way she was handling it all. However Storm wasn't so eloquent as to express these thoughts clearly, and it was always in a persons best interest not to argue with the young spitfire. "Well I would expect nothing less of you, little dragon." She poked fun with a smirk.

Return to The Stands