Departure

Moderator: Kraven Bloodthorne

Professor Emeritus

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Departure

Inside a darkly lit room sits Kraven Bloodthorne, slumped in the high backed leather chair behind the desk, his head in gloved heads.  Only flickering candles dotting the room revel the office’s contents.  The tall shelves hold numerous tomes with such names as “The Art of Dream Interpretation”, “The Book of Answers”, and “Divination for Beginners.”  Artifacts are scattered amongst the books.  Here is a crystal skull, whose empty eyes still find a way to peer into your soul.  There is glowing pensieve, swirling its smoky memories.  And over on the other side of the room is an hourglass filled with blood red sand, dropping each grain with excruciatingly slowness.  Upon the desk rests two brass rods, next to a onyx pendulum.  Papers and scrolls blanket the remainder of the desk, and upon the papers are strewn beads of various different shapes and colors.

Kraven lets out a heavy sigh from behind his gloved hands.  His hands drop from face into his lap, and upon his cheek, reflecting the glowing warmth of the candlelight, is a single tear.  He shakes his head and glances over to the corner of desk, whereupon a black 8 ball is resting.  Kraven stretches out his long arm and grasps the ball.  Kraven tilts his head back, closes his eyes, and pulls the 8 ball to his chest.

“Am I doing the right thing?”

He leans his head down and opens his eyes, slowly pulling the ball away from his check.  On the underside of the ball is a glass window, and inside the window, from behind swirling purple liquid, and an answer is provided.

“Without a doubt.”

Kraven quietly sets the ball on the desk in front of him.

“Then why doesn’t it feel that way.”

Memories begin to race through his mind.  Thoughts of classes past pound his head.  Drums. Boxes. Dreamcatchers. Hands.  And as each class passes, faces of children follow, their expressions of wonder and amazement bringing a slight tingle to his heart.

“I am most definitely going to miss this place.  But if this is how these children feel when I teach, then I owe it to those that I have wronged to give them the same.”

Kraven rises from his chair and draws his wand.  He points it toward a dark corner of the room and calls “Accio Trunk”.  Slowly and deliberately, an old steamer truck emerges into the air and begins to drift towards Kraven.  With his wand, Kraven carefully lowers the trunk onto the desk.

Kraven points his wand at the trunk again.  “Alohamora.”  The trunk produces a click, and the lids flips open.

Kraven raises his wand into the air.  And with the movements of a symphony conductor, he begins to guide items into the trunk.  The pensieve lifts off of its shelf and flies into the trunk.  The hourglass takes flight, landing in the recesses of the baggage.  The black 8 ball pops into the air and drops down inside.  No matter what the size, or how much there is, everything finds its way into the trunk seamlessly and with ease.

After a while, the office is empty.  Only the candles remain, flickering and casting eerie shadows across the empty room.  Kraven waves his wand at the trunk, and the lid closes with a clicking sound, assuring its owner that it is locked and ready to travel.  Kraven stares at the barren bookshelves and the hidden dust that had taken refuge behind books and other curious items the once resided there.

After what seemed an eternity, Kraven gathers himself.  He clears his throat, choking down the urge to cry.

He waves his wand towards the trunk.  “Wingardium Leviosa.”  The trunk raises into the air and begins to move towards the door.  The heavy double doors slowly swing open to allow the trunk and its owner to pass through.  Once through the door, doors begin to close.

With a heavy thud, the doors shut.  The orb on the door begins to swirl puffs of purple smoke.  In the orb, a purple triangle appears with a single word upon it.

“Goodbye.”

And just as quickly as it appeared, the smoke swirls and the triangle is gone, and the orb goes dark.

Parador Student

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Departure

Victoria almost ran to the office stopping quickly as she saw the professor and panting slightly looking at the ground "P-Professer Bloodthorne i have some questions about some things that have been happe-" she stopped as she looked up and saw the trunk. "A-Are you going somewhere Professer?" she said with a confused expresion moving some of her hair away from her face.

Headmaster

Location: Perhaps in his office, but could be any number of places.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:47 pm

*Clark's boots can be heard coming down the hall. He sees what looks to be a brand new student standing before Kraven's old office door.*

Clark: "Excuse me, miss. Are you looking for Professor Bloodthorne? I'm afraid you won't find him here. He has left Avistrum to rebuild Timmernak, the school that was destroyed by Drake's forces. I can help you send him an owl if you like. But if there are any questions that I can answer, I am more than happy to do so."

*Clark's eyes move to the orb. Tempted to ask the orb about the things weighing on his mind, the orb must have sensed it as the words 'Not now' formed within the fog.*
Professor Clark Dowling
"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the presence of fear with the will to go on."

Parador Student

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

Victoria turned and smiled slightly,"Oh really? I didn't know. Well i was looking for some help with divination could you help me with it? I'v had some... strange dreams lately and i feel they might mean something and for some reason I cant figure it out," She said rather quickly with a slight glint of hope in her eyes.

Headmaster

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:58 am

*Clark's brow furrowed slightly.*

Clark: "Regrettably, Divination was never my strong suit. If Professor Bloodthorne were here, he'd happily tell you how inept I was in school. And after graduation."

*Words appear in the mist of the crystal orb, 'Without a doubt.'* Clark's face breaks into a mix of a scowl and a grin.*

Clark: "But Kraven did endeavor to increase my lack of skills in the arts of Divination over the past couple of years. He said that I was no longer 'painfully ignorant'. Now I have risen to the level of just 'ignorant'. (words appear once again in the crystal orb, 'Reply hazy, ask again later.') So if you'd like to share what you have seen, I am more than happy to listen. And I can never turn down a good puzzle."
Professor Clark Dowling
"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the presence of fear with the will to go on."

Parador Student

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

"well in most of my dreams lately no matter what it was there is always a black cat that follows...but I've never really heard of anything like that" Victoria said with a short sigh.

Headmaster

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm

*Clark's eyes narrow in thought.*

Clark: "Hmmmm. When Kraven and I were... on the road a little over a year ago, we spoke fairly often about dream interpretation. I recall the subject of a black cat's appearance coming up. A black cat is frequently symbolic of having doubt in one's abilities in the art of divination. Or someone could also be questioning their own intuition, or what their gut feelings are trying to tell them. Perhaps the black cat following you could be a sign that self-doubt has been nipping at your heels."
Professor Clark Dowling

Parador Student

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Victoria smiled warmly.
"That sounds about right... Oh by the way I'm Victoria Sunican" She said holding out her hand

Headmaster

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

*Clark returns the smile and shakes her hand.*

Clark: "A pleasure to meet you, Victoria. My name is Clark Dowling."
Professor Clark Dowling

Parador Student

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 pm

"You are the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher right?" she looked at him curiously

Headmaster

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 pm

*He nods*

Clark: "That I am. "
Professor Clark Dowling

Parador Student

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Victoria smiled happily, she had always loved doing spells from the time she got her first wand "Thats awesome ill be sure to stop by your office sometime, maybe you can teach me a few spells"
She bowed slightly and started to walk away.

Headmaster

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Clark: "Certainly, Ms. Sunican. It was a pleasure to meet you."

It was certainly odd giving divination advice, and especially in front of Kraven's office door. I wonder if Kraven would have approved my advice.
The mist in the orb swirled once again, forming the words "Better not tell you now". Laughing to himself, Clark asked aloud to the orb, "So, did you just inherit Kraven's lovable demeanor and wit?" The orb responded, "Signs point to yes."
Professor Clark Dowling

Parador Student

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Victoria turned and smiled at the professor "Im sure he would approve of your advice professor" She turned back and continued to walk away with a slight smirk on her face.

Return to Bloodthorne's Office