Who is Kraven Bloodthorne?

Moderator: Kraven Bloodthorne

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Who is Kraven Bloodthorne?

Falchion walked down the halls, still exploring. While now familiar with most of the Avistrum grounds, there had always been certain places that he did not go. Call it a feeling, or perhaps it was just reasoning. The hallway that he now walked down had, since he had first arrived, been barren and black. It was now well lit, well, dimly lit, with the spiderwebs and dust mostly cleaned off.

He paused as he looked upon two stone dragons arching around a black doorway. Squinting into the dimness, he continued forward toward the door. What is that thing?

That thing revealed itself to be a crystal orb, attached to the center of the door itself. He leaned forward and tapped it, still wondering about it's purpose.

The orb on the door swirled and glowed, causing Falchion to retreat a few steps. A small white triangle appeared in the orb. Fal cautiously stepped forward again to look at it.

Ask your question.

Fal sighed.
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

"...And no one dared disturb the sound of silence"

Professor Emeritus

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Who is Kraven Bloodthorne?

The orb swirled and glowed. A white triangle appeared in the orb that read

"A sigh is not a question."

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Fal steps back.

He rubs his chin. Hmmm... Is it purely a verbal question/answer device? He thinks to himself.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small notepad and pencil. He writes a few words in it, then steps up to the orb, pointing the page at it.

Can you understand non-verbal communication?

He waits for a moment then lowers the page. He starts to sigh again, but catches himself. He looks around foolishly.

His mind continues to work on the problem. Yeah, like that would work. If it doesn't have optical sensors, it won't understand sign language either. If it reacts to sound, maybe morse code?
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Not seeing the orb respond to his writing, he tries another approach.

CLAP clap clap
CLAP CLAP CLAP

CLAP clap CLAP CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP
clap clap CLAP

CLAP clap CLAP
CLAP clap
CLAP CLAP CLAP
clap CLAP CLAP

CLAP CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP
clap CLAP clap
clap clap clap
clap

CLAP clap CLAP clap
CLAP CLAP CLAP
CLAP clap clap
clap
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Staff

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Stepping out of the common room to walk around for a bit, Victoria notices Falcion having trouble outside Professor Bloodthorne's office. She makes her way over to him and taps him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Need any help?" she says.
"The power of imagination makes us infinite." -John Muir

Professor Emeritus

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Kraven steps out from around the corner.

Thank you Ms. Navidson, but I will take it from here.

Kraven scans Falchion.

Ah, you are the one without the ability to talk. While I find that refreshing in a student, it will do you no good with my door. It works on the same principle as a Magic 8-Ball in the muggle world. Unless you are holding the Magic 8-Ball, you have to ask out loud. And since you can't hold my door, the only way to get what you want is to speak up.

But, don't worry. I had a feeling you would be coming around. What is it that you want? And write quickly. I don't have much time.

Staff

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Victoria nods graciously to the Professor and turns back toward the common room, giving Fal an encouraging smile as she goes.

Now what could be in that box... she wonders.
"The power of imagination makes us infinite." -John Muir

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Falchion looks between Victoria and Kraven Bloodthorne. He blinks a few times, before retrieving his notepad. He scribbles a few lines quickly.

Appologies Mr. Bloodthorne. I didn't know this was your office. I think I lost myself in trying to decipher the orb.

But since we are here... The Headmaster stated your were a Professor. May I ask what you teach?

Finished writing, he shows the notepad to the Professor.
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Professor Emeritus

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Kraven stares at the notepad.

First of all, your handwriting is atrocious. It is hard to dechiper some of your words.

That being said, I get the jist of what you are saying. I was a Professor. But I am looking to rectify that. As this school is in desperate need of a Divination Professor with some real talent and dedication to the subject.

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Falchion's eyebrow arches as he listens to the Professor. So can you read minds? Because the question I really want to ask is how you're standing here; when the last we saw you, that pompous jerk in a top hat had arrested you.

Instead, he writes again, slower this time to ensure his writing is at least legible for the Professor.

What does divination entail? Fortune Telling, card reading? Are you able to glimpse only the future, or can you look into the past as well?

He pauses, an idea coming to him.

If you can read the past, can you get images from an object.... say a book?
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Professor Emeritus

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:09 am

Kraven looks at what Falchion has written.

That is better. Much easier to read.

I won't go into details about divination, but I will tell you it is not fortune telling. If you want that, you can call Ms. Cleo. Divination is art of extracting information from the past, present, and future. I won't go into detail, as this will all be covered in class, provided I am allowed to return once the outcome of Senator Kensington's investigation is complete.

And, since I hear this going around the school, I will clear the air. I was not arrested, but detained via a warrant for questioning as part of an ongoing investigation into the tragedy that happened at Timmernack, and the disappearance of some of Avistrum's teachers.

Now, for how I handle my divination skills, I use not only the tools of divination, but gather information through touch. This is why I wear gloves. Every object, person, etc. has a memory. However, this memory is not just linear in one direction, i.e. the past. This goes in both directions. Some with the gift don't need to touch things, but get flashes randomly. If I didn't wear gloves, everything I touched would give me their memories involuntarily, and I wouldn't be able to function.

Anything else?

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:29 am

Fal digests this information. Divination, from just the brief description, seemed to be an amazing subject.

He considers for a moment.

Is that why you're so... unapproachable? If any touch would make you glimpse someone's life, people would start to avoid you. And after time, you would just avoid them to break the cycle before it started.

He nods

That's why I can't figure you out. You guard everything about yourself.

He writes, still attempting to keep his writing neat and legible.

Is divination something that can be taught, or is it a special magic, like those that are metamorphmagi?

Would your ability be able to detect if a memory has been altered or erased? For instance if something happened to someone, but they don't remember it, or their memory was altered so that to them it never happened?

He grins, and writes once more.

When do your classes start, and may I sign up?
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Professor Emeritus

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 pm

I suggest you calm down. Your handwriting is suffering due to your excitement.

When I say memory, I don't mean "Remember when..." It is more like an imprint of the past or future. People's memories can be altered, but it doesn't affect divination. We are not reading minds, we seeing time as it occurred or will occur.

However, there are charms, spells, and other magical devices that can change the imprint. This can affect what a person sees. Depending on the skill of the person doing the divination, the changes to the imprint may be visible. This is easier with the past than the future, since the future is ever changing with the choices that everyone makes. But, since the past has already occurred, you can spot those changes if you are trained to know what to look for. Most students take for granted what they see and are not able to do this, no matter how much to get it through their thick skulls.

As for my talent, it is a gift that I was born with. It cannot be taught. But, I can teach those with the gift how to use it, and I can teach those without the gift how to use the tools of divination, provided the student is paying attention, which is rare. The tools of divination are available to anyone who is willing to learn. It takes time, just like learning a new language or how to play an instrument does. In the first day you may know a couple of words or a couple of notes, but it takes dedication and time to become fluent.

Kraven stares at Falchion.

I hope you were paying attention. Because it doesn't seem you were paying attention the last time I spoke. I am not yet a professor at this school, so I don't have a class to teach. Yet. So, as to when classes start, that remains to be seen. Well, for you anyway. I've seen it, and I have patience. I hope you do as well.

Lobostro Prefect
Lobostro Prefect

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Fal nods, and writes again.

I was paying attention, Mr Bloodthorne. I wrote my last comment as hopeful optimism that you would be returned to your former position. I appologize if my attempts were mis-interpreted.

He flips to a clean sheet of paper, and continues writing.

On Divination, I'm not sure I'm clear on how you see. You don't see memories, but instead, you see the event itself? So instead of a first person view, you see instead a limited... third person view of what's happened?

Is "see" the correct word? Or would it be better to say "experience"?

How do prophecies fit into this? I have always thought prophecies as being self-fulfilling. If the prophecy never existed, then those involved in them wouldn't have the information to make the prophecy come true.
~Avistrum Alumni~
Still a Lobostro

Professor Emeritus

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Kraven glares at Flachion.

Mr. Falchion, while I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject of divination, this is hardly a couple of quick questions. I suggest you attend one my classes, provided I teach again, and you shall get the answers you deserve.
Next

Return to Bloodthorne's Office