All That Glitters

Moderators: Mordecai Argiletum, Head Boy and Girl

Parador Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: All That Glitters

After the surprising bear hug, Kay simply stood still, as she was somewhat flabbergasted. In stark contrast to her lack of motion, Isaac seemed to be a hurricane. Smiling, her eyes tracked him, simply drawn to the large amount of motion coming from her classmate.

Adventure? Her heart starting racing at the word before her brain quelled it immediately, and the excited smile she had worn slipped off her face almost as quickly as it had appeared. No, no no no no no no. I'm not an explorer, or a treasure seeker or a gun-fighter. I'm not even proud of what I am- a lurker in the library.

"Isaac..." she started slowly. "I'm... I'm not..." Trying not to cry, she turned away from him, looking to the nearest window instead. "I'm not someone anyone would want on an adventure. I'm... I'm not brave, Isaac." Regardless of how much I want to be, she added mentally as she crossed her arms over her chest. "It's why I don't think I belong in Parador." Her lips quivered, and tears started slipping down her face. "I don't even have the courage to try and fit in with my house." She pulled her arms tighter to her chest as she shook her head. "I really don't think I'm someone you'd want along."
"You want to be a good archaeologist- you've got to get out of the library!"

Student

Location: Really where ever my adventure leads. Or more where ever Oliver's dragged me.

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Issac furled his brow. Wouldn't want her along? Maybe the dust was getting to her head. He could feel the sadness coming from her. He reached out and hugged her again. Gently this time. He waited a moment before speaking.

"Kay.. you are plenty brave. The Great Eagle trusts you to be in Parador, just as he thinks me a Lobostro." He took a breath. "Sure, you may not feel like it all the time, but you just need to push the thought from your head. Yes, you're still a Colubrae, at least to me, but I think there's a reason for you being sorted how hou did." He let her go, turning her to face him.

"Besides," he continued, "I think I'd be the best judge of who I wanted to come along. And trust me when I say, it would be my pleasure to have you along." He smiled to her, a big genuine smile, wiping one of the tears from her eye. "I think it'll be a blast. Zip over, grab a good size branch, and we're back before you know it!" He put his hand out so she may grab it. "So, what do ya say?"

Parador Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Me? Brave? She sniffed, though the sound was muffled- her head was tucked securely into his shoulder. I'm never brave. And I really don't want to screw anything up. She took a small step back as he released her. "The only reason was 'just to mess with me.' I'm not brave, I'm not strong, I'm nothing like-" She clamped a hand over her mouth as more tears streamed down her face. I'm nothing like my sister.

As he wiped a tear away, she swallowed thickly and tried to rein in her thoughts. Really, I'm not brave enough for this, she thought as she looked down at his hand. But you don't have to be brave, a less cynical voice in her head whispered. You just want to learn. Who knows what the temple might hold. For all you know there might be scrolls from the Nubian royalty, inscribed with ancient magic. Or ancient artifacts- if the Greek 'gods' were wizards, might the Egyptians have been as well? Her shoulders lifted as she sucked in a deep breath. There's only one way to find out.

With another deep breath, she slowly reached out and placed her hand in his. "Alright," she agreed hesitantly. "Where do we start?"

Student

Location: Really where ever my adventure leads. Or more where ever Oliver's dragged me.

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Issac's face lit up with excitement. She was coming along! Joiming him! He couldn't be happier, even if he won first in the Quidditch finals. He happily squeezed her hand, keeping it in mind not to squeeze too hard, then let go and began listing off all they would need."Gather supplies! I have a tent for two, bedding and such. So, clothes! And water. And food! Which shouldn't be hard. And we both have our wands, heck I have a few for good measure. And we have a map! Or at least a general area to look in."

Issac wrote a short list and handed it to Kay. He was so excited. He longed for adventure again. And to have Kay coming along made it that much more exciting. "Alright, we should get some rest. Take some time, gather things we need, let people know we're leaving. Then tomorrow, we can just head to Sudan by Floo Network. And I know just the place!" He pointed to the map in one of the books. "Al-Fashir."

Parador Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:56 pm

"Tomorrow?!" she exclaimed before shaking her head with a very small smile. "Tori's going to kill me. Or try to come along." A small sigh escaped her lips. "I think I'd prefer the former."

She scanned the list before setting it down on the table and tapping it with her wand. The word 'books' was added to the bottom. "Weight's not going to be a problem with a feather-light charm, but I don't suppose you know how to do an undetectable extension charm?" The green in her hazel eyes was really showing as she looked at Isaac again. "I want a book on creatures we might encounter. And at least one on hieroglyphics. Plus something on the curses we might encounter in the temple, and..." She paused, and bit her lip. "If there is a temple, that is." Her shoulders hunched slightly as she looked down at her boots. "But I'd understand if you didn't want to check it out."

Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Issac smiled at her, lifting her chin. "Miss Maddison, forgive my pun, but are you mad?" He laughed at his joke, then continued. "We are travelling to an ancient temple, with a possibly strong connection to wizarding history, and even could provide answers to whether ancient muggles worshiped and were ruled by powerful wizards. We are finding that temple, and I will proceed to be very little help to your research but still do everything I can to help."

He really did prefer her smile over her sadness. Her eyes were still slightly red from her tears, but they already seemed brighter. Every grin, he believed, was easily worth the effort put into making them. Maybe that was the profit margin? He made a mental note of it, then looked back to the list. "Would these be in the library? And do you think Pro- I mean Mr. Argiletum would allow us to borrow them?" He glanced up to her for an answer.

Parador Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:38 pm

"Mad?" Kay asked with a small snort. "Of course I'm mad," she added with a grin.

At the mention of her head of house, her grin faded yet again. Not because she disliked him (quite the opposite, actually, since he did teach one of her favorite subjects and kept her favorite place in the castle in tip-top shape), but because she had overlooked something- actually borrowing the book. "I hadn't thought of that," she admitted as she looked down at the table again. Isaac's copied sheets were still scattered atop the books, and that gave her an idea. Straightening up slightly, she reached down and pulled a small blue diary out of her boot. "It wouldn't hurt to copy at least parts of them." She set her beloved diary down on before gathering up the books she had picked. "I'll return all of these and grab the ones I want," she stated. "Was there anything else you think would be useful?"

Student

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Issac smiled back to her. "I'm sure there isn't a problem with that!" he said. He gathered up the papers into his school bag, then scrached his chin. "Uhm. I could take along the desired cores, so I won't have to break the limbs unless they're compatible. Aaaand the best guide on transfiguration of plants we can find!" He nodded with that, then looked up. "Hey, sorry, that reminds me! I need to actually get the core liquidated and infused so I can charm it. If you want to just meet me in the great hall with all your stuff, I could meet you there tomorrow morning after breakfast!" Issac moved quickly towards the door while he spoke. "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow! Bye Kay!" And he darted through the doors.

Almost immediately he ran back in, grabbed her in a hug again, spinning her around. "Thank you so much for coming with me!" And with that he left again, darting down the hall to the Lobostro Common Room.

Parador Student

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:02 am

With her feet back on the ground, Kay simply shook her head as Isaac darted away. "Better get started, then!" she said to no one in particular before pulling out her wand and waving it at the book with the tale in it. A copy of the words ghosted in front of her for a moment before sinking in to her diary. You can always look on the bright side, she thought as she put the lore book and diary on top of the pile in her arms. You've only got five books to copy. So far. With a small sigh, she started back off towards the stacks to re-shelve.
Previous

Return to Student Section